Sample Survey of Stakeholder Perspectives
Thank you for agreeing to complete this short survey on the inclusiveness practices of ______________________ (name of organization). We seek to become more inclusive of communities of color. Your participation in this survey will influence our efforts. Your responses will be confidential. When you have finished the survey, please return it to: (list name of contact person, name of organization, and address).
Your position with ____________________ (name the organization).
Check the term that best describes your primary role with the organization:
____ Former Board Member
____ Former Staff Member
____ Community Partner (working closely with the organization)
____ Community Leader
____ Community Member
____ African American
____ Asian/Pacific Islander
____ Middle Eastern
____ Mixed Racial/Ethnic Background
____ South Asian
____ Other ______________
Please answer the questions below using the following scale and/or with a written answer:
1 = not at all 2 = a little bit 3 = somewhat 4 = quite a lot 5 = a great deal dk = don't know
For the purposes of this survey, inclusiveness is defined as...
The mission of _____________________________ (name of organization) is... (Fill this in ahead of time so that respondents can reflect on the actual mission.)
(1) Does the mission of _____________________________ impact communities of color? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(2) Do you feel that communities of color generally respond positively to ________________________'s mission? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(3) Are the values related to inclusiveness that are espoused by _____________________________ consistent with the values that it practices? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(4) Do you have any suggestions about how _____________________________'s mission statement could be changed to expand inclusiveness?
(5) Please provide further comments related to mission-related issues here:
Board of Directors (1) Do you feel people of color generally feel comfortable serving as members of the board of directors of _____________________________? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(2) Do people of color and white people generally serve as directors for the same amount of time? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(3) Does the board of directors of ______________________________ consider issues relating to race and ethnicity when it sets policies and makes decisions for the organization? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(4) What could the board of directors of _____________________________ do differently to become more inclusive, if anything?
(5) What could the board of directors of _____________________________ do differently to address the needs of communities of color, if anything?
(6) Please provide further explanation on any governance-related issues here:
(1) Are people of color and white people with similar professional backgrounds and skills recruited and promoted equally at _____________________________? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(2) Has _____________________________been able to effectively retain people of color? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(3) Are staff at certain levels of the organization more likely to be people of color than at other levels?
1 2 3 4 5 dk
(4) What factors have influenced retention among people of color at _____________________________?
(5) What could _____________________________ do, if anything, to recruit and retain staff members of color at all levels?
(6) Please provide further explanation on any personnel-related issues here:
(1) Does _____________________________specifically consider race/ethnicity and/or culture in designing and implementing programs? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(2) Does _____________________________make services available in geographic locations that are convenient and accessible to communities of color? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(3) Does _____________________________translate materials into languages that are spoken by communities of color in its service area? 1 2 3 4 5 dk
(4) Is there anything that _____________________________does to hinder providing services to people of color? Please explain.
(5) Please provide further explanation of any program-related issues here:
This worksheet was created by The Denver Foundation's Inclusiveness Project (http://www.nonprofitinclusiveness.org/) to support organizations doing inclusiveness work.
Users are encouraged to customize the worksheet (both content and formatting) to meet the needs of their respective organizations.
- Step 1: Creating Structure
- Step 2: Consultants/Training
- Step 3: Making the Case
- Step 4: Gathering Info
- Scope and Strategy
- Defining Community
- Community Facts to Collect
- Community Fact-Gathering Plan
- Defining Field
- Field Facts to Collect
- Field Fact-Gathering Plan
- Organization Facts to Collect
- Organization Fact-Gathering Plan
- Identifying Stakeholders
- Reviewing Info-Gathering Topics
- Putting It All Together
- Who Will Compile Data?
- Making Numerical Comparisons
- Compiling Other Data
- Sample Stakeholders Survey
- Sample Likert Scale Responses
- Sample Narrative Responses
- Compiling Likert Scale Responses
- Compiling Narrative Responses
- Compiling Focus Group Data
- Step 5: Creating a Blueprint
- Step 6: Implementing the Blueprint
- Sample Documents
- Next Steps for Your Organization